Monday, December 27, 2010

Trial and Error

I haven't been embroidering for all that long, less than a year actually even though I have had my machine for over a year. Everything I have read, when you are doing appliques on items such as shirts, you are suppose to use cut away stabilizer, so I have. While the finished product looks awesome, one wash and the design is wrinkled. I hate this. I don't know if it's the type of stabilizer I am using or what but after getting Scarlett a shirt form Carter's and seeing that it's an applique on a shirt with NO stabilizer on the back I am doing a little experiment! I just stitched out an applique snowflake with her name across it on tear away stabilizer. I ended up hooping 2 layers of the tear away and then pinning the shirt to it like I normally would. It stitched out great! I tore away the stabilizer and the shirt is currently going through the washer and dryer to see how it holds up and comes out! I am really hoping it does well because, at least with Scarlett, having the stiff stabilizer behind the design looks strange on her because she is so small and chubby! lol

I'll post pics and update when it's done!

If anyone has had any experience with this I would love your thoughts on using tear away vs. cut away on shirts!


3 comments:

  1. The Gymboree shirts usually don't have a stabilizer either. I think you can get away with the tearaway on a smaller design or one that isn't too dense, but I wouldn't try it for a stitch heavy design because it will distort the design. For thinner shirts and onesies, I've started using the polymesh stabilizer instead of the regular cutaway. That works really well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never used cut away stabilizer...always tear away or wash away. I just didn't like having to cut it! HA!! But, like Mary, I have started using the polymesh cut away on tees...it works REALLY well, and I don't mind cutting it because it holds the stitches so well! Hope you had a great Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks ladies! I will be trying the polymesh stabilizer and see how that works out! =)

    ReplyDelete